Friday, February 24, 2012

Extrapolate the size of filegroups by 12, 24 ,and 36 months.

Hi All,
I have a large Database with two filegroups and I'm trying to extraplate the
size of the filegroups for 12,24,and 36 months. I don't have historic data,
but have current data as of Feb, Mar, & Apr. The days of these months are no
t
the same( Feb-28days, Mar-31days, Apr-30days) and the data are eg. (Feb - 4G
B,
Mar- 7GB, Apr-5GB)
How best do I go about extrapolating data size to 12, 24 and 36 months.
Thanks.
Message posted via http://www.webservertalk.comHello, Naana
A shot-in-the-dark estimation can be: 85GB for 12 months, 222GB for 24
months, 411GB for 36 months. I have used "Edit / Fill / Series / Linear
/ Trend" in Excel to get these numbers (also considering the number of
days in each month). However, for a more pertinent estimation, we
should have more informations abouth the kind of growth expected for
this data. Maybe the data is has some dependence to the number of
working days in each month (instead of all days), maybe it has some
other seasonal variations. However, I think this is not the best group
for such estimations.
Razvan|||Hi Razvan,
How did you get your estimation?. I used the Numbers (Feb-4GB, Mar-7GB, Apr-
5GB) that I provided earlier in Excel - "Edit / Fill / Series / Linear /
Trend" and didn't get your numbers, for 12months, 24months, and 36Months.
My estimation was from Feb - Jan, Sum of 12months, Sum of 12Months*2 for
24months, and Sum of 12months*3 for 36months.
Advise.
Razvan Socol wrote:
>Hello, Naana
>A shot-in-the-dark estimation can be: 85GB for 12 months, 222GB for 24
>months, 411GB for 36 months. I have used "Edit / Fill / Series / Linear
>/ Trend" in Excel to get these numbers (also considering the number of
>days in each month). However, for a more pertinent estimation, we
>should have more informations abouth the kind of growth expected for
>this data. Maybe the data is has some dependence to the number of
>working days in each month (instead of all days), maybe it has some
>other seasonal variations. However, I think this is not the best group
>for such estimations.
>Razvan
Message posted via webservertalk.com
http://www.webservertalk.com/Uwe/Forum...amming/200605/1|||I computed the average daily size for each month (approx. 0.14G for
feb, 0.23G for
mar, 0.17G for apr) and then I used "Fill / Series / ..." to
extrapolate the
daily size for the following months. Then I multiplied the daily size
with
the number of days in each month, and I summed these sizes (so I
considered
the extrapolated sizes also for the first three months, although we
have
real data for them).
I can send you the Excel file if you write me your e-mail address to:
rsocol [at] gmail [dot] com
But I repeat: it's just a shot in the dark. Your data may or may not
grow this way.
Razvan

No comments:

Post a Comment