Sunday, February 26, 2012

Extremely Slow connection time

Hi
I have recently reinstalled XP Professional as well as the MSSQL client tool
s.
Our SQL 2000 server is running Win2K with 512MB RAM, and has been doing so f
or quite a while, no changes where done to the server while I reinstalled XP
on my PC.
Now my connection to the SQL server is extremely sluggish, e.g. connecting v
ia the Query Analyzer takes up to 2 minutes, and so do any other subsequent
actions, for example opening the list of databases, tables or stored procedu
res on the object browser.
All my queries take ages to get going even for the simplest queries.
Previously the response was very reasonable, as are the other developers PCs
in the company, with similar set up.
I have tried using both forms of security but have no joy either way. I have
used the IP address – no go.
If I ping the NetBIOS name of the server the response is instantaneous.
Please help!!Did you remember to install SQL Server 2000 SP3a after the reinstall?
Without it, you are vulnerable to the Slammer.
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
"Herbert Schroder" <herberts@.mweb.co.za> wrote in message
news:9FF54BCC-2F28-4F5A-9D6A-06A4D4B1CA41@.microsoft.com...
> Hi
> I have recently reinstalled XP Professional as well as the MSSQL client
tools.
> Our SQL 2000 server is running Win2K with 512MB RAM, and has been doing so
for quite a while, no changes where done to the server while I reinstalled
XP on my PC.
> Now my connection to the SQL server is extremely sluggish, e.g. connecting
via the Query Analyzer takes up to 2 minutes, and so do any other subsequent
actions, for example opening the list of databases, tables or stored
procedures on the object browser.
> All my queries take ages to get going even for the simplest queries.
> Previously the response was very reasonable, as are the other developers
PCs in the company, with similar set up.
> I have tried using both forms of security but have no joy either way. I
have used the IP address - no go.
> If I ping the NetBIOS name of the server the response is instantaneous.
>
> Please help!!
>

No comments:

Post a Comment