Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Failed to generate user instance and Cached Domain Login....

I am having trouble with the "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed. " message however I believe my circumstances are different that what I have found in any posts about this subject.
I use a laptop computer for development on my domain at work (I am in admin group on that domain). I have worked for several hours today on a project and logged off my network and then hooked my computer up at home. I log onto the machine again when I get home and log on normally, with a cached domain logon and I am unable access the database. This happened to me yesterday as well and after several hours of reading posts and troubleshooting I decided to reinstall SQL and that fixed the problem.
I don't want to have to reinstall each time I log on my computer at different locations. Most of the posts I read have to do with working on different computers or posting an application and accessing it remotely. I am working on the same machine all the time withouht making any changes to my configuration and am at a loss about how further to troubleshoot this problem.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Just wanted to post and update on how I resolved this problem.

It would appear that resinstalling would fix the problem for short time but it would surface again after a few sessions.

I ended up un-installing SQL and then logging on the computers local admin account and installed SQL that way. I am not sure why being logged with an account that was in the admin group for my computer was any different, but at least that took care of the problem.

I will post an update again if this problem starts back up again, otherwise give that a shot if you are having the same problem I was.

|||

Well after a few days of successful use, I started having trouble again. I downloaded the SSEUTil.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=FA87E828-173F-472E-A85C-27ED01CF6B02&displaylang=en.

When I ran this utility I got the same error message "Failed to generate user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed".

I started poking around with the SQL Configuration Manager and went to the properties for the instance of SQL that was running and changed the "log on as option" from "Network Service" to "Local System" and everything seemed to work again.

I hope this thread is helpfule to some besides me :)

|||

Setting it to log on as "Local System" worked for me as well, once I told it to not open the database using a "User Instance".

Thanks, this has been bothering me for days.

|||How do you tell your system not to open the database using a "User Instance"?|||To tell it not to generate user instance, go to the advanst property on the login window, a new window should appear. Move down the window untill you find the "User Instance" property, set that to false. I do not know how to do it on websites I would appresiate any help.

No comments:

Post a Comment