Thursday, March 29, 2012

Failed to reinstall sql server 05

Hi guys, I had sql server 05 RTM Developer installed on my laptop before and decided to remove and reinstall it. because i want it on a different drive. I went ahead and uninstalled everything that had to do SQL Server 2005. When I come to reinstall it, it throws me with an error saying,

- Performance Monitor Counter Requirement (Error)
Messages
Performance Monitor Counter Requirement
The System Configuration Check for Performance Monitor counter registry value has failed. For details, see How to: Increment the Counter Registry Key for Setup in SQL Server 2005, in the readme file or in SQL Server Books Online.

I looked up the fix article that te message is referring to
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143215(SQL.90).aspx

And it simply didnt do the job. same error keeps coming back.

Anyone has come across this before and would like to share some knowledge plz.

Cheers!

This might be a stupid question, but do you have sufficient rights to run lodctr.exe?

(as described in the msdn article, if this program can't be run, you get the same error message)

|||yea. it's my personal laptop where I am an admin...
|||I found out what the problem was... I have XP Chinese Simplified Edition on my laptop which somehow puts a directory "004" under perflib alongside with "009" i.e.;

Besides:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009

There is also a:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\004
"004" has exactly the same registries as "009". BUT I need to align the registries in "Perflib" with the them in "004" rather than "009"...

It might apply to XP in other languages too.

No comments:

Post a Comment