Monday, March 26, 2012

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for th

Hello everyone,

I am new in .NET development and currently trying to learn VWB through Microsoft online tutorials.

Here is the problem that prevents me from getting further:

in VWB, when you right click App_Data and chose "Add New Item" and then select SQL database, the following error message is displayed:

"Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed."

If I cancel out of it, it does generate mdf file under App_Data folder in Solution Explorer, but when I try to open it, it says:

"The item does not exist in the Web directory. t may have been moved, renamed or deleted." and that is where the whole sharade deadends.

I can connect via mycomputer\sqlexpress under Data Connections in Database Explorer (it then adds "master.dbo" to the path) and then create custom tables, but that is not the same, isn't it? I mean, this will not integrate my database tables through default configuration that I am trying to follow?

All this happens on local machine.

Thanks to everybody who can help!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Could you check the error log to see if it gives a better reason for the problem? The error log you'll need to check is at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\<main instance name> (The default instance name is SQLEXPRESS)

Regards,

Mike Wachal
SQL Express team

-
Please mark your thread as Answered when you get your solution.

|||

Mike, thanks a lot for your suggestion.

I couldn't figure out what was the error but after complete reinstalation of the SQL server and deleting all the related folders, I finally got it to work the way it suppose to.

Thanks!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment